Maturing plants (and another refresh)
Refresh
So I've settled in a a routine. To reiterate, on top of the documented process, I have added cleaning the system with dilute sprayed h202 and a 2 inch round brush. This was recommended by users on facebook to avoid a deep clean in 6 months and only adds 15 minutes. (The number of groups has grown as individuals have started thier own groups. oy.) I use an old toothbrush to get hard to reach corners and fish roots and stuff out. It's also good for the occasional seepage at joints. The hanging shoe holder seemed silly when my plants were tiny. However it makes lots of sense now. My doors are too tall for me, so it is over the shower bar. Since it is not against a solid surface, putting big heavy plants at the top is more stable. It only has 24 slots, so things like harvested kale share slots. I've backed away from the GSE since it does not make an obvious diffence to my plants and it makes it a little more to clean. I've also backed off worrying about the PH. The gardyn's fertilizer's buffering seems to do what it is supposed to for my tap water. (I did look at buying the fertilizer more in bulk instead in a little bag with my montly membership. I did not find what looked like the same formulation. The list of vendors was out of date.)
Plant harvesting and root trimming
The system is simple to keep, the plants are a bit more challenging. I suspect the recommended monthly cleaning is sufficient. However I am finding taking all of the plants out and looking at all sides needs to be done more frequently. It's partially that the plant needs a good looking at, and it's partially that my plants are vying for more space and hiding each other. I find an examination dovetails nicely with a refresh every two weeks. Granted since I am home all the time now , I am trying to spread the refresh effort out by looking at the roots as I harvest. Also I waited an extra day or to to put my recent sprouts in after the refresh. Make sure the ypods are firmly seated. When all the plants are tiny, it is just a matter of having it oriented correctly to catch water. As the plants get bigger the vegitation from that plant and its neighbors may make that more challenging. A few unhappy leaves on the tomatoe brought my attention to the problem, but I found others during the refresh. There was also a dried mineral puddle on the lid when I cleaned this time. Coincidence?
![]() |
| I had been pruning the buds off the front of my mint, but there were flowers in the back. |
That first month was more a matter of guiding escaping roots back into the pod. Then certain roots started filling up the pods. The roots needed trimming so there was space for water (and with it fertilizer). Now I am hitting the point were some plants are breaking the cube. Today's guilty party was parsely. I feel like there have been others. Some roots like tomatoes and mint just take over the world if permitted
When growing outside, how did I consider the roots? Water deep to encourage deep growth. Earthworms are good for getting air to the roots. Rocks are to be pulled out when encountered. What? you want be to rototille and mix in what? that sounds like hard work. Try not to compact soild with walking or heavy machinery. Mulch to keep weeds down and slow evaporation. The closest I came to trimming roots was planting mint in pots to attempt to keep them contained, and to avoid bamboo and trying to keep it in a barrier.
How about growing inside? There was seedlings when frost was likely. I liked containers that would compost away when you put them in the soil. (These plastic cubes are not that and are a challenge to get lots of roots out of.) I liked not thinning. I remember gently introducing them to full sun and differing temperatures. Then there were trying to grow herbs in pots. Many needed more light and more space and failed.
Maturing plants
![]() |
| A recent saute included not only kale, green mustard and red mustard, but also my first amarynth. |


Comments
Post a Comment