Homemade Kefir?
UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Related Background:
At age 50 a colonoscopy was recommended. Then eating more fiber was recommended. Missed my year round garden to graze from to support the fiber. That's why this blog has been mosty about my Gardyn for a while. This summer (2024) I was treated for diverticulitis with several rounds of antibioutics. For a time I was on special diet. (That's not either of the links I remember.) So now I am in the long slow process of trying to repopulate my gut and reintroduce foods back into my diet. My body notices if I skip a pill or take a different brand with different contents. When I finally got in to see the specialist, he encouraged my approach of taking probiotics, both tablets and the range of fermented foods.
I generally blog to pull a longer narrative into my facebook feed, which has related threads.
- diet (mayo)
- kefir products
- last gardyn setback and the whole thing was overgrown... and now has spider mites.
- making kefir
- immagrant labor affects milk price
- Note taking in blog failing
- https://www.yemoos.com/pages/milk-kefir-overview?fbclid=IwY2xjawF7of9leHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHThPlahCvyPd3OFxPmZSVY1nn-7FfP0f0P4dsIqdL6QX-3qYbj8-rZ3qkQ_aem_IM9CAkRsOHtXtVfHaFX6gA
- Https://Culturesforhealth.com
Things that made me go, huh, during this journey:
fiber is considered a prebiotic, which sets up a good enviroment for probiotics
kefir is not yogurt. It actually reminds me of sourdough with a starter, feeding, stirring.... Unfortunately baking bread kills the colony.
Tuesday October 8, 2024
Amazon order should have arrived.
Friday October 11 2024 8pm ACTIVATE
1C pasteurized milk, grains from culturesforhealth.com (Amazon) quart Mason jar , Mason tops Kefir Cap (instead of coffee filter an rubberband), starting at 12 hours look for thickening.
Strain and put in fresh milk, increasing by 1/2C until you reach 4C 3 days?
If no change in texture within 24, use same amount of milk. If it tastes ans smells good , may use in baking instead of buttermilk.
Saturday October 12 2024
9am gave it a swirl. Still thin. The house is 70. Bumped the heat from 68 to 72.
8pm not thick. Put in breadmaker and made rye.
Sunday
Still not thickening. Smelled yeasty in the morning; less so in the evening. Put green lid on. Made more rye. Remembered caraway seeds.
Monday (day 3)
Morning swirl was still thin, but by lunch time it has separated. Drained off the whey. With thoughts of Miss Moffet, I am wondering what to do with the mild stuff. When I replaced it I went up a half cup for the first time.
Curiosity about the double ferment thing even though I'm not on top of this
Comments
Post a Comment