so much happening
Thinning
This picture is a few days old, when these sprouts had only cotyledons:
- Red Amarynth ,
- butterhead,
- buttercrunch, and
- breen (forgot to update breen in the spreadsheet).
Replaced:
- an empty pod (earlier arugula?),
- bolted arugula,
- buttercrunch (accidentally left two and the bolted one after the other), and
- cilantro (see bolting below).
The flashy trout still has not germinated - two more weeks before asking for a credit.
I probably should have put the strawberry in too. It is so tiny. I guess the mint was too. Hmm where to put it?
In the future, I should plan time to soak the empty pods in vinegar before putting them back into use.
Some had a bit of discoloration even after h202 and a toothbrush. The cubes cleaned up fairly well. Do I want to bake the stonewool to sanitize? Clearly I bought some stonewool cubes. Also my membership seems to be bringing in cubes faster than I am using them. For the cubes I am liking my organization of dated boxes and inventory in spreadsheet.
Bolting
When did the dill start budding? I was suprised to notice this while thining and transfering into the unit. At least I have a replacement cube. Just started it. The spreadsheet says I have a few more weeks. I cut off the flower head and noshed. The leave still taste good. What else should I be starting?
The cilantro has had an increasing number of tall thick stalks. I don't see flowers yet so I am not positive it bolted. Let's face it. As I don't like to eat cilantro, it's amazing it was not already gone. At least I let my guild mistress harvest from it a few times. Which of the mustards bolted? Between plant duplication and changable locations, I am thinking I need to number my cubes.
Pollinating
My first pepper flowers come from the sweet rather than the jalapeno. And the tomatoes
Eating
I still tend to nosh rather than plate or measure my harvest. Today I had the horrible thought that I might put cheese and other caloric items with my bowl of breen. Given my carefully arranged bowl had a huge gap before I set it on the table and fetched my phone for a picture, I guess it is not such an issue.
The two plants below are in the same pod (a poor job of thinning). Interesting is the difference in color. Pleased to have the other pod for a salad on another day.
Been cutting the flower buds off the thai basil for a bit. The other basil has joined it.
Recently munged a thai basil shrimp to the ingredients I have. Puree thai basil, garlic, ginger, Sautee scallops and add. Then add coconut cream and more thai basil and simmer. Then garnish with more thai basil. Tasty.
I am more likely to measure those greens I cook: ie 50g curly kale from two plants, 18g red mustard from one plant. I still have variations a basic saute:
- fat - bacon
- ~onion - garlic
- green - kale/mustard/chard,
- fruit - chopped fresh apple,
- nut - pastacio
I thought about making a quich one day. I was hungry and it is basically an excuse to add cheese to my anytime of day meal.
Comments
Post a Comment