my new gardyn
One of the things I miss about CA, is being able to go into the yard at any time of year for herbs, vegetables, and fruit. Additionally WW recommends 5-7 big servings of fruits/vegetables per day. I considered previous experiences with by the square foot, window sill gardens, CSAs, delivery services, ... and am trying a hydroponics system. After reading up on CNET, I decided upon Gardyn's vertical 30 plant system.
The first deliberation was where to put it. Wall space in a fairly open design is at a premium. Possible liquid spillage ruled out rooms had led to a preferrence for tile and an avoidance of rugs. ... I thought I had it figured. Then I figured out the lights made it wider than its footprint. When I started to connect to the app, I realized wifi signal strength was not something I thought about. Now at 50% the light is really bright. While it might be good for SAD, there is another move in the near future. It may wait until before I put water in again.
10 days until fertilizer. And full light?
If you decide you want to participate in this experiment, my discount code is rfkaren87011.
One person's take on other things to buy. The h2o2 has already arrived.
ReplyDeletehttps://www.facebook.com/groups/186960943249434/permalink/267115161900678/?sfnsn=mo&ref=share
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletehttps://smartgardenguide.com/best-ph-for-hydroponics/
ReplyDeleteHydroponic growing tent https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091SL993N/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?pd_rd_i=B081PN2QDN&pd_rd_w=hspb6&pf_rd_p=887084a2-5c34-4113-a4f8-b7947847c308&pd_rd_wg=cyAwh&pf_rd_r=0ZJZ24PEK0CP6HR23RYM&pd_rd_r=395a300a-e538-40e9-ab16-a57c731e38ed&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFCRjdXUlJKWjk0NlcmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA4MjM0NjcxSEUxWk5UTkhRV1NVJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAxNjk0ODlNOVEwRDI4WjMwTDImd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWwmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl&th=1&pldnSite=1
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeletehttps://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/brimnes-wardrobe-with-2-doors-black-40421598/
https://m.facebook.com/groups/186960943249434/permalink/272191468059714/
ReplyDeleteFor anyone who has a new Gardyn and/or is uncertain about caring for it, I thought I would share my successful formula. I use ycube covers and perform this maintenance/cleaning every 10-14 days to minimize the chance for algae intrusion. I’ve never had to take it all apart to clean it. I stoped using Gardyn food because it was ineffective at best. I share this because I WISH someone had done this for me.
My Recipe for Total Tank Refresh
——————————————————-
1. Remove each plant. Trim roots to retake up no more than half the ypod and no roots outside the pod. Wipe with H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) and water to remove any film. Trim plants and put in refrigerator all edible pieces.
2. Sit plants in their ypods aside. Use hanging closet door shoe holder with pockets for easy organization that protects the plants from damage.
3. Spray 3% food grade H2O2 and 50% water mix in spray bottle into each of the 30 column holes. Use a 2” soft round brush dipped in H2O2/water in each hole to lightly scrub any algae or biofilm clean.
4. Turn off - Unplug - Lift pump - Unlock side handles
5. Remove tower & sit on towel
Pump old water out of tank via empty gallon water jug. (Battery powered fish tank pump bought on Amazon makes it easy.)
6. Wash out & wipe tank completely with 3% H2O2 and water
7. Put empty tank back in place
8. Add 1 gallon clean tap water to tank
9. Add 5 Tablespoons 3% H2O2 to tank water
10. Add 4 additional gallons clean tap water to tank
11. Put tower columns back on top of tank - lock handles - lower water pump - plug back in to power - turn on unit.
12. Wait 5 minutes for unit to power up and reconnect.
13. Put plants back in the Gardyn columns.
14. Manually turn on water via phone app and run for 5-minutes.
15. At sink, mix slightly less than one gallon clean tap water in pitcher with eight teaspoons Aerogarden liquid food and 50 drops GSE (grapefruit seed extract). Mix well. Set aside.
16. Set timer and wait three hours or longer.
17. Leaving tower columns on, stir premixed pitcher of food and GSE and pour into tank.
18. Using app, turn automatic water schedule back on.
19. Manually Run water for (5) minutes.
20. In between cleanings I always add fresh tap water in 1-gallon increments that includes 1.5 tablespoons of 3% food grade H2O2 and 2 teaspoons of liquid Aerogarden food.
Look in comments for all direct links to exact items I purchase and use including saving $ making your own rock wool seed cubes.
Happy gardening!
https://m.facebook.com/groups/186960943249434/permalink/267025608576300/
ReplyDeleteSo I thought it would be nice to put together a list of things we have all purchased in one location for our Gardyn.
By all means you do not have to have any of this, the Gardyn out of the box is just fine and easy. Some of us experiment and find things that work better for us with our personal Gardyn.
I have also compiled a list of Common answers, and helpful links to information at the bottom.
$200 Off Coupon Code: rfjames01420
**AeroGarden Be the Bee Pollinator** (Must have with tomatoes, strawberries, peppers IMO)
https://amzn.to/3FlsvQL $14.95 @ Amazon (11/16/2021)
**King Innovation 48072 King 36" x 72" Hand Pump Siphon, 72 inch, Red** (Use to pump water out of tank if you don't want to muscle it into your sink or tub)
https://amzn.to/3oul9Uj $44.41 @ Amazon (11/14/2021)
**Hurricane Classic Clip Fan 6 inch**
https://amzn.to/3n1IwVK $15.39 @ Amazon (11/10/2021)
**3% Hydrogen Peroxide**
https://amzn.to/309QGmx $13.04 @ Amazon (11/10/2021)
**Botanicare Hydroguard Bacillus Root Inoculant, 1-Gallon
***Many Gardyn users use this, I have personally not used it but what many people say it does wonders. It will amplify root mass and vigor.*** **
https://amzn.to/3klQ7N6 $44.66 @ Amazon (11/10/2021)
**AeroGarden Liquid Nutrients (1 Liter)**
https://amzn.to/3bWZX3p $24.99 @ Amazon (11/10/2021)
**49 Rockwool Grow Cubes**
https://amzn.to/3D5xpkj $11.88 @ Amazon (11/10/2021)
**60 inches Hanging Garment Rack Cover**
https://amzn.to/3bYUER3 $17.99 @ Amazon (11/10/2021)
**General Hydroponics pH Control Kit for a Balanced Nutrient Solution**
https://amzn.to/3H2mH0a $19.42 @ Amazon (11/10/2021)
**Heirloom Lettuce and Greens Seeds, 8 Varieties, 5300 Seeds, Lettuce, Kale, Arugula, Spinach, Collards, Non-GMO**
https://amzn.to/3n277d7 $11.98 @ Amazon (11/10/2021)
**Simple Houseware 24 Pockets Large Clear Pockets Over The Door Hanging Shoe Organizer, Gray (56" x 22.5")**
https://amzn.to/3ok7oY2 $8.87 @ Amazon (11/10/2021)
**Pure Enrichment® MistAire™ Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier - Premium Unit Lasts Up to 25 Hours with Whisper-Quiet Operation, Automatic Shut-Off, Night Light Function, and BPA-Free.**
https://amzn.to/3Hc4TQv $39.99 @ Amazon (11/10/2021)
**Room Divider 6FT Wall Divider Wood Screen 4 Panels Wood Mesh Hand-Woven Design Room Screen Divider Indoor Folding Portable Partition Screen,Black**
https://amzn.to/3n0cIAG $44.78 @ Amazon (11/10/2021)
**14 Sweet & Hot Peppers Seeds Variety Pack 700 Seeds Non-GMO Peppers Seeds for Planting Outdoor & Indoor Home Gardening Anaheim Jalapeno Habanero Cayenne Serrano Poblano Cubanelle Pepperoncinis & More**
https://amzn.to/3CZYoxw $15.99 @ Amazon (11/10/2021)
**10 Eversweet Everbearing Strawberries Plants**
https://amzn.to/3wyJ7Bj $10.69 @ Amazon (11/10/2021 - Price change recently)
**Hand crafted Gardyn Cart **
*It is a Cart for your Gardyn to easily move it around the house, No more Back Breaking moves with this beautiful cart. **Message Rebecca Dawkins O'Donnell **for details*
Click --> #gardyncart
****Garsum Sticky Houseplant Traps Gnat Yellow Insect Trap Indoor Fruit Fly Stakes Trap(21 Traps)** *(Just in case if you have potted plants or pests that make their way in)***
https://amzn.to/3olcvqW $6.99 @ Amazon (11/10/2021)
*(A very cheap cart solution)*** Stalwart 75-MOV1002 Wheeled Furniture Mover Dolly, Multi Purpose Roller for Moving Heavy Objects with 440 lb Weight Capacity**
https://amzn.to/3kpHl0I $22.65 @ Amazon (11/10/2021)
Will add more soon, or if you have something to suggest I can add it to the list also.
## **What do the little dots mean on the pods?**
Those dots are used by the App and Kelby to identify your plants when you are subscribed to let you know what to do. The cameras pick them up and relay what each plant is to the app.
## **Where is the best place to place my plants in the Columns?**
https://mygardyn.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360051387472-yCubes-PlacementCupon
$200 off your Gardyn Purchase use Code: rfjames01420
spreadsheet https://www.facebook.com/groups/gardyners/posts/3066139816965639
ReplyDeletehttps://www.harborfreight.com/24-in-x-16-in-1000-lb-capacity-solid-deck-hardwood-dolly-56782.html?_br_psugg_q=dolly
ReplyDelete